Friday, April 13, 2007

I have been thinking....

I have been blogging for a bit now and I think I am starting to get the hang of it and I am thinking I might want to take it more seriously now. I have looked around and seen some blogs which I consider serious (in the sense that it has become a full fledged hobby for the authors). These authors mostly have their own domain names and they have really customomized templates, hence having a proffesional look.

Well I dont plan to be launching a own site very soon but my first step I feel is to gain total control of my blog and my problem with that is that I dont think blogger.com can do that for me.

Here are my issues:

1) Blogger.com is not fully compatable with safari (Ya I am a mac user), and I think that is ridiculous considering that macs are becoming more popular daily. This also causes me to use two browsers FireFox for blogging and safari for everything else (I prefer safari to Firefox due to FF's memory leak problems) this is a problem for me.

2) There are not alot of options in templates on blogger.com as supposed to wordpress, you have to mess around with alot of the HTML on blogger, which can be seen as a plus, cause you are kinda given full control of your template. But for me who has no time, I prefer to find some obscure template, tweak it a little and I am ready to roll.

3) Blogger doesn't give future posting feature. I travel alot and I don't know how my internet access will be when ever I am away, so I would like to schedule posts to be saved and then published the day I want them to, so to my readers it seems I never left.

4) With blogger I have to use third party applications to view my web stats, this is ok but need me to manage and create extra accounts on the internet thereby keeping track of multiple user names and passwords.


I am presently living with all the issues listed above and if I am to take blogging seriously, it has to be something I enjoy and not a burden, I have to reduce all this over heard, so I started this research and then I found out that Wordpress (Blogger.com's main rival) has all these features I am looking for and more and to put icing on the cake they have an import function that lets me import my blog and comments form blogger.com to the new blog, which I think is amazing.

Hmm... so when do i move? when i finish my personal website or before?

No comments: